Saturday, May 9, 2009

Big News

Okay....brace yourself....it has been a huge day. So we celebrated Landry's fifth birthday here in Midland today. I hadn't seen Gigi since Easter, and you can't believe her progress. With new contacts and glasses, it seems that Gigi is taking giant steps rather than baby steps at this point! (It is amazing what one can do when they can see clearly!) She is all around doing better all the time...walking, talking, playing....you name it!

Anyway...back to the big news.....so as she and Opa were headed south, she decided she would try her hand at driving.......so for about FIFTY MILES, she had her maiden voyage since December 11. Of course to hear Opa tell it, it was a terrifying experience, but with her hands on ten and two, and sitting at attention like you know she was, WE ALL KNOW BETTER! SHE DID GREAT!!!!!! We are so proud, as I know she must be proud of herself....getting back to "what comes natural!" She was laughing as she told me that all Dad said was, "Don't get stopped, because this will be really hard to explain to a cop!" Thankfully she still has her near perfect driving record!

In other news, Mom will be staying with us for the next few days and or weeks. We feel like a huge "God Thing" has fallen in our laps, that is simply too good to turn down. As I stated earlier, many of the presenting problems from even a month ago have begun to resolve themselves; sight, balance, attention. After a little research and numerous recommendations, Mom is going to be going to the Aphasia Center of West Texas starting on Monday. (For all you non-stroke lingo people like we all were six months ago....aphasia is speech problems) This is one of the leading treatment centers in the United States....and only one of eight like it in North America. Their moto is "Restoring Hope and Communication" and our prayer is that this will be exactly what Mom needs to thrust her out of this life altering ordeal! If you are interested in knowing more, you can google The Aphasia Center of West Texas, or click here
http://www.aphasiawtx.org/video.php to watch the inspiring video.

Thanks for your continued love, prayers and support. They are indeed working, so please don't stop! I will keep you posted over the next few days as to how this new phase of recovery seems to be going!

Love to all....Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms!
~Christi

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great news! It sounds like a wonderful place. I wish you all a special time together. Happy Mother's Day to both of you.

Love, LaNelle (aka Aunt Nell)

Anonymous said...

Hi Christi,

I am a friend of your mom's from high school days who now lives here in Midland. I've been keeping up with the blog and was delighted to read that Gwen is here for awhile so that I can visit with her in person. Unfortunately, I don't know how to contact you. My e-mail is patsy_bain@yahoo.com and my cell phone is 770.3749. Could you please contact me?

Thanks,
Patsy Cumpton Bain

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear of the wonderful progress Gwen is making. I try to check the blog every couple of weeks to keep up, so thanks to all of you for "posting" and maintaining this site. I wish I knew you all better. Give Gwen my best, and know that you are all on my prayer list. SeReatha (cousin)